What are the main characteristics of a Georgian property?
The Georgian period spans from 1714 to 1830 – and what we consider the late Georgian period from 1830 to 1837.
- Townhouses were arranged over three or four storeys
- Sash windows with smaller panes – tall windows on the first two floors and smaller windows on the top storeys
- Symmetrical flat exterior and balanced interior layout
- Stucco-fronted exterior, meaning it is rendered in a plaster material that covers the construction material beneath. In earlier Georgian designs, the ground floor was rendered and the rest of the exterior was exposed brickwork, while in the later Regency style, houses were rendered from top to bottom.
- Render painted white or cream
- Built around garden squares, as the houses did not have their own garden
What are the main characteristics of a Victorian property?
Ranging from 1837 to 1901 under the rule of Queen Victoria I, the Victorian period was a time of increased production of houses and an expanding middle class.
- Coloured brickwork
- High pitched roof
- Ornate gable trim
- Geometric tiled hallways
- A brickwork porch
- Front door to the side of the façade
- Narrow hallway
- Stained glass windows
- Bay windows to sit in, for reading and writing
- Dark furniture and wood floors
- Fireplace in every room
- Patterned wallpaper – typically heavy floral designs
- Elaborate design details that reflect the wealth of the owner and those coming into ‘new’ money
What are the main characteristics of an Edwardian property?
The Edwardian period from 1901 to 1910 was short and heavily influenced by The Arts and Crafts Movement. The movement promoted simple design and an appreciation for the handmade in retaliation to mass production in the Victorian age.
- Houses built in a straight line
- Red brickwork
- Porch with wooden frames
- Mock-Tudor cladding and timbers at the top of the house
- Wide hallway
- Parquet wood floors
- Wider, brighter rooms
- Simple internal decorative features
Your Windows and Doors should be in keeping with the period of your home for a beautiful age appropriate home design.
Interested In Our Services?
Get In Touch With Wombourne Windows Today!
Call On 0800 085 8518